Whatever the size of the backyard, gardeners who are passionate about growing vegetables, fruits and berries constantly lack space for their experiments. And if the owner of the garden has become his favorite crop strawberry, then it will need to allocate quite a lot of space, because this berry loves space and light. To plant more shrubs, you can arrange the beds vertically.
Features of vertical cultivation
There are many options for the construction of vertical beds. This method is suitable for many plants, but strawberries take root better in such an original garden, and even create a beautiful appearance. With a little time and money, the beds can be built almost from scrap materials. Compared to traditional cultivation, vertical cultivation has several advantages:
- Significant savings in space on the site.
- Strawberries remain clean throughout the season and do not suffer from dampness.
- Berries become inaccessible to most pests.
- Weeds have nowhere to grow, there is no need for constant weeding.
- Fertilizers supplied in the form of liquid through the irrigation tube are maximally absorbed by the plants.
- When picking berries, you don't have to reach for the ground, straining your back.
- A vertical bed with lush flowering and fruiting bushes can be a decoration of the site.
However, vertical cultivation also has disadvantages:
- The rapid drying out of the soil requires tireless attention, regular watering will be needed.
- It is imperative to carry out liquid fertilizing, because ordinary fertilizers cannot be laid in the finished bed.
- In winter, even not very cold, plants can freeze completely. The beds are arranged in such a way that they can be moved indoors or wrapped well.
Vertical strawberry cultivation methods
If the plot is small and you want to plant as many strawberry bushes as possible, then you should try growing it in pipes, plastic bottles or barrels.
Beds in pipes
A very common way to grow strawberries vertically is with plastic pipe beds. Such structures will require financial investments for the purchase of components, but the long service life of PVC pipes will pay off all costs.
Vertical cultivation of strawberries in pipes is a great alternative to classic beds
To create a vertical bed of pipes, you will need materials:
- plastic pipes for plumbing works no more than two meters long and 20 cm in diameter;
- a PVC hose or pipe with a diameter of 2 cm (its length should be 10-15 cm longer than the main pipe);
- burlap or spunbond.
A hacksaw and a drill with a nozzle for cutting circles - tools for making beds can be found in any house
Before starting work, you should prepare gravel for drainage, seedlings and soil for planting bushes. Seedling soil is mixed from turf, manure, peat and compost in equal proportions.
- Circles with a diameter of 10 cm are cut in wide pipes. The holes are drilled with a drill with a special nozzle, observing a checkerboard pattern. The rows are spaced at a distance of 20 cm. The bottom of the pipe is left without holes. If it is assumed that the structures will winter on the site, circles are not cut out from one of the sides of the pipe.
For the normal development of the plant, a diameter of 10 cm holes on the pipe is sufficient.
- In a narrow tube, holes are drilled 5 mm by 2/3 of the length, the lower part is closed with a plug.
- A narrow pipe is wrapped in burlap or spunbond and placed whole part down in a large pipe.
- The whole structure is dug into the ground. Gravel is poured inside to a height of about 10 cm and outside the pipe.
- They begin to plant seedlings. Pour earth to the bottom hole, tamping slightly. The bush is placed on the surface of the soil, carefully straightening the roots. Then more soil is loaded into the pipe to the next holes and the strawberries are planted again. This procedure is repeated until the pipe is completely filled with seedlings.
A vertical bed made of a plastic pipe is also suitable for a balcony
- Each new layer of soil is watered with water.
Video: instructions for creating a bed of PVC pipes
Another structure is also constructed from PVC pipes. The pipes are cut lengthwise, so their diameter is chosen large. The halves of the pipes are suspended horizontally on the walls of buildings using wire or ropes. This is how several levels of beds are done. If you use brackets to fix the pipe halves, then the structure will be more stable.
Video: making a pipe for a hanging bed
Growing in plastic bottles
It is a very affordable and economical material that is used to organize vertical plantings. For the device of the garden, you need to prepare:
- five-liter plastic bottles;
- fasteners for bottles (wire);
- frame where the bottles will be installed;
- paint, if you plan to paint the structure;
- cutter, nippers and brush.
Having prepared all the necessary materials, they get to work:
- The bottles are cut in two.
- The lid should not be tightly tightened, allowing excess moisture to drain.
- Soil is poured into part of the bottle with a lid and strawberries are planted.
- The lower part of the bottle is fixed on the frame and a container with a strawberry bush is placed in it.
- The entire structure can be painted with acrylic paint to enhance its appearance.
The volume of an earthen coma in a plastic bottle is very small, so it is necessary to strictly control the humidity of the vertical bed
When planting strawberries in plastic bottles, be sure to add hydrogel to the soil. It will absorb excess moisture and give it to plants as needed.
A plastic bottle is great for growing strawberries on a windowsill
Video: strawberries in plastic bottles
Growing strawberries in a barrel
Barrels of any size, new or old, which are often found in the garden area, can be adapted for strawberry beds. The following work procedure is observed:
- They clean the barrel from dirt, rust, old paint.
- Cut holes in the bottom of the barrel for drainage (2 cm in size).
- Circles with a diameter of 10 cm are cut out in the walls, keeping a distance of 30 cm between them.
- Install the future garden bed in a sunny place.
- Broken pieces of bricks or rubble are placed on the bottom.
- A pipe with holes is installed in the crushed stone, its diameter should be 1/3 of the diameter of the barrel.
The inner tube is designed for uniform watering of the soil in the barrel, as well as for feeding with liquid fertilizers
- Small stones are poured into the pipe.
- Fill the barrel with nutrient soil to the bottom circles.
- Strawberry bushes are spread in the cells, spreading the roots.
- Add the soil to the next row of holes and plant the seedlings again.
The holes in the barrel can be of any shape, but it is better to arrange them in a checkerboard pattern
- So the whole barrel is filled with soil. Each layer of soil is watered with water from a watering can.
- You can also plant strawberry bushes on the surface of the barrel.
Experienced gardeners advise planting aromatic herbs, calendula or basil in the lower rows of barrels to avoid soil acidification.
Before the onset of winter, vertical strawberry beds must be protected from the cold. A net on guides is installed around the barrels. The distance between the fence and the bed is filled with insulation (leaves, dry grass) and covered with a material that does not allow water to pass through.
How to water strawberries in vertical beds
Growing strawberries in vertical beds will require gardeners to pay special attention to watering, since such beds dry out very quickly, and if there is a lack of moisture, all bushes can die. When planting in pipes or barrels, an irrigation system in the form of a pipe with many holes must be installed inside. Water must be supplied not only to the inner pipes, but also to water the garden from above, since the upper bushes are the first to suffer from drought. Once a week, watering is combined with fertilizing with mineral fertilizers (special fertilizer mixtures for berry crops).
For beds made of plastic bottles or other small containers, it is imperative to use a hydrogel. It is mixed with soil during the planting of strawberry bushes. By absorbing excess water and dispensing it as needed, the gel will maintain soil moisture and reduce the amount of watering.
In the first days after planting strawberries, especially in the heat, the beds are watered twice a day until the seedlings take root. Then watering is reduced.
Suitable varieties of strawberries
For vertical beds, remontant varieties of strawberries are chosen, the harvest from which is obtained several times over the summer. The Queen Elizabeth variety is very popular. His berries with juicy dense pulp, large, regular shape. Ampel varieties look good on vertical beds, for example, Alba. This is an early variety, its bushes curl very beautifully, they will decorate any corner of the garden.
Vertical planting of strawberries will allow you to rationally use every piece of land in your garden. It is not difficult to build beds. Having thought over the irrigation system and providing for the shelter of the beds for the winter period, you can significantly increase the yield of strawberries. And the easy care of the plantings and the beautiful appearance of the beds will delight gardeners.
A software engineer by profession, I write software in Delphi / SQL. I supervise the training portal in my organization (check, edit, post content).
Rate the article:
(7 votes, average: 5 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Advantages and disadvantages
Like every garden manipulation, growing strawberries in vertically arranged structures has its own characteristics. Before finally deciding whether to acquire such a bed or not, you need to carefully weigh the pros and cons.
The advantages of this method include:
- more bushes can be grown on vertically arranged structures than on a bed of equal base area. Thanks to this arrangement, cultivated plants are grown in the smallest summer cottages and even balconies.
- strawberries growing in such beds are less likely to get sick and are attacked by insects and birds. And even if the bushes do get sick, it is much more convenient to process the plantings.
- Since the bushes are located at a comfortable height, it is easy to care for the plants, since there is practically no need to bend over. For the same reason, it is easier to harvest.
- an intricate structure, adorned with lush bushes, enhances the aesthetic appearance of the site and delights guests.
There are also quite a few disadvantages to growing strawberries in vertical beds.
- Bushes growing in such conditions need to be watered frequently. Due to the small amount, under the influence of sunlight, the water evaporates and the soil dries out. The situation can be slightly leveled by installing a drip irrigation system or using a hydrogel.
- Strawberries need to be fed often, as the plants quickly deplete the soil, which is covered with the garden bed structure. Dwarf and undersized varieties of culture are more tolerant to nutrition.
- In harsh winters, the soil is severely frozen and the plants die. To prevent the death of the berry, the bed is dismantled and transferred to a room where the temperature does not drop below 0 C.
- Even the smallest beds need to be filled with earth, which takes a lot of time and effort from the gardener.
How to make a strawberry tree
Growing strawberries vertically on a tree is not only a big land saving, but quite beautiful and offers other benefits.
Positive aspects of the vertical way
- A strawberry tree looks great on the site, serves as a worthy decoration, can divert attention from unsightly places in the garden, ennoble the gazebo, fountain, pond.
- Saving space is important if you are growing strawberries for sale, since the receipt of products here increases 6-7 times. Indeed, on a two-meter tree, you can arrange up to 8 tiers of flowerpots for 40 plants.
- Maintaining a strawberry tree is much faster and easier. Gathering berries, watering, loosening, feeding, cutting off the mustache is carried out without bending and the time is much less.
- When watering, spraying, feeding, less water and solution is spent, especially if you arrange drip irrigation.
- It is easier to do mulching and therefore weeding is practically eliminated.
- When ripe, the berries are clearly visible, the harvest is faster. In addition, the berries are better ventilated and less sick with gray rot, therefore, yield losses are reduced.
how to make a strawberry tree
Strawberry tree device
It is not difficult for a good master to make it, and it does not take much time - no more than 2 hours in the preparation of all materials and the necessary tools (drill, level, screwdriver)
- thick antiseptic treated log 2-2.5 m long
- 10-12 hooks for hanging planters with a diameter of 40 cm
- mounting bolts or screws
- 10-12 planters or wire baskets with 40cm circumference and coconut inserts
- fertile soil
- planting material (strawberry rosettes).
Sequence of work
Prepare a log that has been pre-sanded and treated with any antiseptic to increase its service life.
Determine where to place the log. It should be sunny, preferably sheltered from the north wind by buildings, the best place is the south side of the house.
Dig a hole 50-65 cm deep to securely anchor the trunk. Using a level, place the log in the hole and cover with soil, compacting the soil well. You can cement the trunk for stability to prevent it from falling under the weight of the pots.
Now you should make a markup for installing the hooks, drilling holes with a diameter smaller than that of the bolt in order to protect the tree from cracking and to facilitate screwing in the fasteners.
Then the baskets are filled with fertile soil, strawberry seedlings are planted, the plantings are watered. It is advisable to use varieties that give few whiskers. Such sockets are planted at a short distance to each other.
The last operation remains: hang all the pots on the hooks, adjusting the chain length, and the strawberry tree is ready.
Experienced gardeners believe that any varieties can be used to grow strawberries in a vertical way in the country. But the varieties of ampelous culture look excellent in this case - a kind of falling waterfall. But remontant varieties will supply berries for a long time until late autumn.
Characteristics of some varieties for the vertical method:
- Ostara - Dutch ampelous variety, giving dense, fleshy berries that are stored for a long time
- Homemade Delicacy early ripening remontant strawberries. These are medium-sized dark red berries with a circumference of up to 3 cm and a pleasant sweet and sour taste. Long stalks adorn the strawberry tree
- Alba is an early climbing variety, resistant to frost. Long lashes with cone-shaped red berries look beautiful on a tree. Up to 1 kg of juicy fragrant fruits can be harvested from one bush
- Queen Elizabeth has large juicy red berries of excellent taste up to 40 g. Fruiting of the variety is long and you can get 2-3 harvests of this ampelous culture, which must be transplanted after 2 years
- Geneva unpretentious with paniculate flowers, dense berries.
vertical cultivation of strawberries
Growing strawberries vertically
The list of works here does not differ from the cultivation in the garden. It should only be remembered that the earth dries out quickly in the pots, so it is worth doing drip irrigation or often watering it by hand. It is worth mulching to keep moisture in the pots.
The same applies to dressings, which are carried out more often than in the garden.
Prepare the strawberry pots for winter. They are removed to a warm room or buried in the ground and covered with spruce branches. You can build a low structure above the pots, close it with covering material, burlap, roofing felt, and sprinkle the baskets themselves with sawdust, peat.
Growing strawberries vertically will help not only save the area of u200b u200bthe dacha, but also decorate the site, facilitate the care of the culture.
If you find an error, please select a piece of text and press Ctrl + Enter.
How to make vertical strawberry beds. Many ways
Every gardener, having found a few unnecessary things in a closet or shed, can increase his area by several square meters upwards. Consider options for vertical beds for growing strawberries. They provide an excellent opportunity to try yourself in the role of a designer and make the garden special with your own hands.
Pluses of vertical beds
- Practicality. You save a significant amount of land that you can use with other crops.
- Cheapness. The material for vertical beds most often lies underfoot or has a low price in hardware stores.
- A clean and healthy berry.
Strawberries do not like water procedures, and in such beds, the roots will not gain excess moisture and the berries will not become watery. Even if the downpour passes, the strawberries will remain clean.
Planting can be done earlier, and do not worry that young shoots will freeze slightly, since above the ground the frost is not so terrible for planting. It is easier to wrap such a bed with non-woven materials. Convenience in handling and collection. The harvest will be almost under your nose, strawberries in vertical beds do not require long grooming, cutting off the mustache and picking in an uncomfortable position.
Where to place vertical beds?
Strawberry is a thermophilic and light-loving culture. It responds with abundant fruiting in several stages if it grows in the right place and with careful care. Agricultural engineering is not difficult if you approach the process with some knowledge.
- The berry loves abundant watering, but stagnation of water is fatal for it, and the vertical structure will protect the planting from soaking the roots. But you need to pay attention so that excess water from the roof of the house or from other buildings does not get into your garden.
- Choose a location where the structure can be secured if it is tall enough.
- It is possible to arrange vertical strawberry beds in the greenhouse and get a vitamin-rich crop from the beginning of spring.
What to make vertical strawberry beds from?
Before heading to the store for material, look around the house or country. While cleaning the barn, you can find the remains of building material that takes up space, also look into the garage.
Old tires and sheets of metal, leaky iron and plastic barrels, lengths of sewer pipes, gutters - all these unnecessary things can be an excellent improvised material for making vertical beds.
If you decide to make designs in large quantities or want more aesthetics, then go to the building materials market, it will not hit your pocket hard.
Consider the possible options for vertical beds for strawberries and for an objective assessment we will clarify all the pros and cons.
Examples of vertical beds made of various materials
When choosing, try to take into account the conditions in which the root system will develop as comfortably as possible, as well as the environmental friendliness of the materials.
Strawberries in plastic bottles
The so-called eggplants are constant companions of human life. Having accumulated the required number of them, you will create beautiful structures on the site.
Try to choose bottles of the same type and volume to create an aesthetically accurate composition, otherwise it will look ridiculous or even shabby.
- Drain the strawberries before placing them in plastic bottles. On the side where you planned the bottom, make thin holes. It is possible - with a heated nail, so that the hole has smooth edges and does not close. Place a thin layer of small pebbles on the bottom to allow sufficient liquid to escape.
- It is better to tint the bottles with light paint on the outside or lay out the inside with non-woven material. This is necessary so that the root system does not warm up.
- Fill the bottles with soil and plant the seedlings. It is better to do this in cloudy weather or shade the planting for a while. This will allow the strawberries to take root and make transplanting easier.
This version of a vertical bed can be placed on the wall of a house or on a fence on the sunny side.
Strawberries on a fence in plastic bottles - video
Growing strawberries in plastic bottles has its advantages: cost and space savings. The disadvantages include the excessive greenhouse effect that occurs in plastic, which is undesirable for the roots.
Tire strawberry flower bed
Car tires can be found at any car owner or picked up at a tire service station. The convenience of this option is that a strawberry flower bed from tires is very simple to construct.
- You just need to pick up tires of different sizes, so that, stacking one on top of the other, get a pyramid. Or, by folding the tires of the same size in a pile, get a ready-made vertical bed.
For the high-quality functioning of such a bed, you need to provide an irrigation system, therefore, in addition to tires, you will need a plastic tube with a diameter of 5–8 cm.
Holes should be made in the tube approximately every 8-10 cm in a checkerboard pattern. Step back 10 centimeters from the bottom and make the first hole. Close the bottom of the tube and wrap it with non-woven fabric to prevent it from clogging up with soil.
Water every row. Do this with all tires prepared.
This strawberry tire bed is a durable construction. Its advantages: ease of construction, low cost.
Cons: Dark rubber warms up significantly and doesn't always look decent. And yet, the question of the environmental friendliness of these products is quite controversial.
Vertical bed made of wooden or steel barrels
Wood and iron are short-lived, but benefit from aesthetics. The construction of these materials will make it possible to obtain a full-fledged fortified product.
Wooden and iron barrels, in which holes are made on the sides (and small grooves even bend in metal ones) are excellent options for seedlings. They can be arranged in a pyramid by placing the smaller ones on top of the larger ones. Such slides look quite harmonious on the site.
growing strawberries in a wooden barrel
Advantages of wood: it does not warm up, does not contain chemicals, and looks organically in the interior of the garden. Minus one: it will last no more than seven years.
Iron also does not last forever and heats up, but the problem with excessive heat can be solved by painting the outside of the barrel white.
strawberries in an iron barrel
Do you want your fence to be a work of art, pleasing to the eye and useful? Make pockets on it! This option has only two drawbacks: fragility and landing every season.
Taking any material such as a tarpaulin, cutting out and making pockets from it in the form of soft shelves, you can get the envy of all neighbors and a completely comfortable garden bed. Fill each pocket with soil, plant strawberries and water.
DIY vertical strawberry beds will give you a lot of pleasure and ethical enjoyment.
Watering will have to be carried out pointwise - under each root, and for the winter, take out the roots, transfer them to the basement or bury them, and wash and dry the suspension with pockets before storing.
Strawberry beds in PVC pipes
This method is used by farmers who grow strawberries all year round. He has established himself and is constantly being improved.
- To implement the plan, you need to buy PVC pipes: one should be 15 cm in diameter, and the other will be internal, for watering the entire planting system.
- The height of the pipes is up to two meters. This is ideal for watering and harvesting.
- In the large pipe, holes must be made for planting, and in the small pipe, for the delivery of water to the roots of the plants.
- It is better to place vertical beds of this type at a slight slope and make holes on three sides so that the shadow (solid) side is below.
- After securing a large pipe with a hole, place a small pipe in it and cover it with soil. Tamp each layer and sprinkle a little water so that the earth fills the voids. After securing your future garden bed, plant strawberries in the holes.
This option is convenient for many reasons:
- Light-colored PVC pipes do not heat up.
- The material is durable and will last for many years.
- The birds will not be able to catch on it, and the crop will be safe.
- If your region has cold winters, the pipe along with the seedlings can be laid in the fall and, covered with non-woven material, left under the snow. And in the spring (after the snow melts) to raise and, covering, get an early harvest.
Cons of this method: it is not known what effect PVC has on plants. But you should not be unnecessarily afraid of plastic, a lot of what is in your house is made of this material.
Strawberry mesh beds set up vertically
The method of installing such beds is available to literally everyone. With a piece of iron or plastic netting on hand, you can create a pretty interesting village-style ensemble. Environmental friendliness in this case is maximum, since natural materials will be used.
- You will need a large mesh net, dry straw, or grass cut in the area. Hay after the trimmer will not work as it is finely chopped. Mow the grass with a scythe or a sickle - this is the best option.
- Fold the mesh so that you have a cylinder. Fasten the edges with wire or cable ties. Install the cylinder in the desired location.
- Lay out the first layer of hay from the inside, pressing it against the net. Pour earth in the middle. Pour with water, tamp. Climb to the top little by little. This is an option for a low construction. Note that you will not be able to fill the net if it is higher than your raised hand. Perhaps, having stuffed one cylinder, attach another one above using the same clamps.
- Mark for yourself where you will have nests for planting strawberries, and in these cells move the straw a little. Land in the resulting nests.
This kind of beds look very interesting, the combination of greens and red berries with golden straw looks very beautiful. This is a very cheap option, available to most because it does not require special tools.
Vertical beds for growing strawberries - video
Suspended cascading plantings from gutters
Gutters left after building a house or a pipe sawn along are ideal options for a cascade bed.
The gutters, having previously muffled them on both sides and having made holes in them for drainage, can be placed, suspended above each other or installed in the form of a ladder. This design can be easily disassembled and transferred to any place in the garden, as well as for winter storage in the underground.
It looks aesthetically pleasing. And if you alternate planting strawberries with flowers or herbs, you will get an extremely interesting composition.
Soil composition and fertilizer for vertical beds
Have you made up your mind and chose your own option or have you even found all the necessary material? Now you need to properly compose the soil for the strawberries.
Sandy or sandy loam soils, which contain humus, are optimal for growing strawberries. It should be at least 3%. Since vertical beds are a man-made thing, you can fill them at your discretion.
If you plan to plant in the spring, then in the summer prepare the following:
- In the clearing, cut out a few squares of the top layer of the earth - turf, about 5–8 cm, along with the grass.
- In the garden, stack these squares in black garbage bags on top of each other.
- Tie up the bags and leave them for two months. All weed seeds will die, and after sowing, the earth will be sufficiently fertilized and oxygenated.
- In the summer, when the time for the formation of peduncles begins, feed your strawberries with a mullein solution.
- Do not water it often during fruiting, otherwise the berries will be watery and not sweet.
Every planting method you choose or one designed specifically for your garden will bear fruit. Just treat with love and care the process that will bring maximum pleasure.
(2 votes, average: 5,00